Student Voices 2012: SHELBY

I am writing about the last two weeks of our trip. What I would like to tell everyone about is the trip that the group took to Paris. We were all very excited to be getting to go to Paris as part of our trip. We took the train and that took about three hours to get there. Right after we got off the train we had to meet a bus that was going to be taking us on a tour of the city. The tour lasted for about two hours and we got to see many of the different sites in Paris. After the tour, the bus brought us to our hotel where had about an hour to unpack or grab something to eat, before we were supposed to meet to go on to the Eiffel Tour.

We went to the Eiffel Tour at night so that we could see the light show and see the view from the top of it as the sun was setting. We had about three hours to do what we wanted at the Eiffel tour and after that we were going to meet back at the bottom again. Most of us decided to go up in the tour and we walked all 669 stairs to the second level where then if you wanted to go to the very top you had to take the elevators. The view from the top was unbelievable; a picture just doesn’t even do it justice. After we left the Eiffel Tour we saw a Merry-Go-Round across the street and of course we had to go for a ride. Not everyone can say they have done that!Later that night we went to the part of town where some of the young people hang out (The Latin Quarter) and just went to a couple of bars.

The next morning we woke up and it was beautiful out. We got some breakfast and then headed out on the town. The first place we went that day was to the Notre Dame Cathedral. This was one of the highlights of the trip for me. It was the most beautiful church I had ever seen. We were there for about two hours and then we just did some walking around that area. We soon got hungry so we decided to go to the Bastille. There were a lot of different places to eat but we decided on a small place where we could sit inside. We enjoyed a nice long lunch then decided that we wanted to go to a market that was nearby and do a little shopping. The market had all kinds of interesting things for sale; a lot of jewelry, shoes, purses, and art work. After the market we walked to another little street that was just full of little stores to go in so we walked in and out of a couple before we thought we should start heading back to the hotel to get ready for what we were doing that night.

Saturday night we were going to the Moulin Rouge at 11:00. We went to dinner first and then had to get there about an hour early so that we could get good seats. The show was very good and definitely worth seeing and it only lasted about two hours. After the show got over we decided that we should probably get out of the Red Light District, since it is not the safest place to be that late at night.

On Sunday morning we got up and it was raining and kind of cold so we thought it would be the perfect day to go to the Catacombs. The Catacombs was rather busy when we got there and there was about an hour and a half wait to get in. Once you got in, you go down a bunch of stairs that lead you to this small room. In that room there were a lot of pictures that told you about the Catacombs and how they came to be. After that you follow a small dark tunnel to that leads you to where all the bones are. The walls are made of bones and skulls and the floors are muddy and wet. Sometimes it got a little slippery and really dark. You were allowed to take pictures but you could not use the flash so some of the pictures didn’t turn out very well. We were down there for about two hours and then you head back up some stairs. There was a lot more of the Catacombs that we didn’t get to see but it was very interesting and I would recommend seeing that if you ever get a chance.

After the Catacombs we wanted to go to the Louvre Museum but the line was so long when we got there that we didn’t think that we would have enough time to go through it and see everything. We did get our pictures taken in front of the Pyramid though. We decided that we would try the Musee d’Orsay instead. The line there wasn’t as long and was moving rather quickly so we waited in that line. When we got inside, we got to see many Monet’s paintings, but the highlight for me was getting to see Van Gough’s Starry Night! It is not as big as had always thought it was but it was very beautiful. There were many other paintings and sculptures that were also very pretty but nothing quite compared. We were at the Orsay for about two hours and then we decided that we were hungry and wanted to get some gelato. We could not find anywhere to get any gelato so we gave up and found a park where we laid down for a few minutes to rest. After that we thought it was about time to head back to the hotel to get our stuff so that we could make it to the train station on time. When we got back to the hotel ,we were still a little early so we walked across the street to get something to eat at the McDonalds. The funniest thing to us was that we could get a beer with our meals, so of course we all did. After finishing eating we went back to the hotel and got our bags and waited for the bus to take us to the train station. Once at the train station we knew our trip to Paris was coming to an end and it was sad to leave. This was one of the best parts of my entire trip to France and I am very thankful that I got to experience all that I did.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s